Thursday, April 19, 2007

Back to Cali

Have you ever said goodbye to your family knowing that it is going to be a long time before you see them again? Yesterday when Jess, Libby and Payton dropped me off at the airport it was almost surreal as I watched them drive away. They say "Absence makes the heart fond" but let me tell you I had instantaneous fondness in my heart. At times I take for granted the blessing my family is to me but when I know it is going to be a while before I see them again my awareness of the blessings grows very rapidly.

About the TSA and airport security: On the way up to the airport I argued w/ Jess and Libby about the screening process at the airport. I believe they should profile the individuals who are flying and only screen completely those individuals who fit a profile likely to commit an act of crime. How many times has a person from the mid-west blown up an airliner? I am not willing to quietly give up personal freedoms simply for a perception of increased security. We have created a brand new federal agency, the TSA, that by it's nature is inefficient, will exist long after it is needed and is doing a job that the local airport authority could perform.

To those who would give up some liberties, consider Ben Franklin's pre-Revolutionary War quote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

OK so enough meddling, I flew in from STL last night arriving in California at 2 a.m. Before the flight Jess gave me one of the coolest presents I have ever received. A journal full of notes from you , my friends and family. I have a letter for each day of the ride. I have already opened one from my cycling friend Ken Norton in Springfield, MO. It was very light hearted and made me laugh w/ some inside jokes. Mary my friend at the Veterans Hospital (VA) sent a letter that I opened today and it had a Rocky quote in it! Mary can't stand Rocky quotes and only allowed me one a day when I worked w/ her at the VA. It is so good I want to share it w/ you.
"It's ain't how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep on moving forward."

I will get to experience the truth of that quote when I start on the cross country ride on Monday but for now I am going to sign off and head to the Coronado beach w/ Michael and Holly Schoenecke.

From the land of the free,
Rob

4 comments:

Kirk said...

And he said he wasn't a good writer. Well, you're quickly proving yourself wrong.

ozarkbikeracer1 said...

Rob Landes, I always wondered what had become of you, and now I know. I read about your exploits from an email from the THF. Good luck to you. You are doing something that I have always wanted to attempt, yet never had the time and money to do. I envy you! Keep the rubber side down (I remember you used to have trouble with that!), and may the wind always be at your back.

David Lee
St. Cloud, FL (formerly Springfield, MO)

Anonymous said...

Hey...you have started your BLOG off beautifully. You are definetly in charge of Christmas letters from here on out! love you...

Sherri & Ned said...

Hey Robbie,,GREAT JOB!!! We are so proud that you are realizing your dream. Keep on peddlin!! Love and prayers we send to you.

 

Flower Delivery Online
Web Counters