Sunday, April 29, 2007

7 days and 850 miles later...

We rode into Albuquerque New Mexico today. This was the second longest day around 140 miles. The terrain is still desert and the culture in primarily American Indian. I really miss the mid-west right now!

Today I observed something worthy of comment on the road. One of our riders, Logan, was ahead of us on the interstate. He took the time to remove an alligator (blown truck tire) from the shoulder of the interstate so all of the riders behind him would not have to go out into the fast lanes of interstate traffic to avoid it. It made me think of a scripture. I think it is in proverbs. "He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

I would encourage any of you reading this who complain that you don't get to eat very much or you gain weight to do this ride. We eat ALL THE TIME. I am already tired of eating but don't really have a choice but to continue. For breakfast I ate 4 eggs, a big pancake and fruit. During breaks I ate 4 granola bars, 2 bannanas, apple, fig newtons, turkey sandwhich and another sandwhich as soon as we got to town. Some of the guys wake up in the middle of the night hungry and eat some more.

I am sharing a hotel room w/ two other guys. One can imagine how crowded a room can be w/ 3 bicycles, a roll away bed and 3 grown men. So far we get along well and the only problem is the line for the toilet in the morning...hey when you eat a lot you have to...well you know the rest of the story. Last night in Winslow AZ, yes we went down to the corner but saw no girl in a flat bed Ford, the a/c was broken at the hotel. In order to get a window room we had to get a room that had only one king size bed. My Canadian roomate wasn't to thrilled about having to share a bed w/ another man but he thought that was better than sweating in a hot room all night. I didn't do any practicle joking w/ him about it because he looks like a bodybuilder and I thought he might dot my eye if I goofed around.

Well it's Sunday so I'll remind you as I remind myself each day. "This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it."

Still going,
Rob

3 comments:

MK said...

Rob, I think MK would be PERFECT for this ride....he NEVER complains of eating too much or of gaining weight!!! He loves to eat ALL the time -- guess that's why he looks like Bam-Bam most of the time. Hope your spirits are good and you are getting some sleep.

Paula and Chuck said...

Hey Rob,
Happy May Day!!! Loved your Motel story. Remind me some day to tell you our Motel nightmare. My kids will never forget it. Scary!
What a wonderful opportunity you have to see our Lords creation up close. The sites you see must make you feel small indeed compared to the vista before you. I love this region and know it will be a memory for you in the coming years. Hope you've got your camara!
Safe Biking and Good Eats
We've got your "back" through prayer. Paula and Chuck

KevinMac said...

Rob,

SIU football news: Arkee Whitlock and Braden Jones sign free agent contracts with the Minnesota Vikings...see you at the home opener???

 

Flower Delivery Online
Web Counters