Friday, May 4, 2007

ONLY 85 miles?!

When I talked to Jess last night I told her about our ride today and mentioned that it was "only 85 miles." It is almost laughable to me that this is now what I am considering a short day. The long days in the saddle caused me to control my thoughts as doubts about my ability crept in (Can I really do this? Is this more than I can do? What was I thinking? Is this really my "Dream Ride" or some kind of bad dream?) Now that we are in Kansas where you can see silos (Kansas Skyscrapers) for 20 miles away I am so glad that I renewed my mind by kicking the negative thoughts out and replaced them with faith thoughts.

Today's ride was so enjoyable with lots of laughing and gazing at the huge blue sky. My butt has toughened after riding 5-8 hours per day over the last two weeks to the point I think someone could drag me naked behind a truck on a gravel road and I would not even feel it. That may be a bit of an exaggeration but I guarantee I could win a farmers tan contest.

If you would like to see an excellent blog by another of the riders on this expedition I encourage you to look at David's link below. He takes excellent pics and tells great stories. I ride w/ him daily so I get mentioned often. http://davidacrossamerica.blogspot.com/

I found some quotes at a restaurant (that word is always hard for me to spell) that I wanted to share:
"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it."
-Noah Webster

"Not everything that can be counted counts, not everything that counts can be counted."
-Albert Einstein

2 comments:

MK said...

Rob, we are checking in on you daily....keep up the faith man. You are so right about replacing your negative thoughts with those positive thoughts. Hang in there!

Suz said...

Rob...lovin' the updates. Reading David's site too...sounds like the Rob we all know and love!! :)Praying for you daily. You are inspiring me to set a new goal for myself. Blessings - David & Suzie

 

Flower Delivery Online
Web Counters